01 02 03 Genderqueer Chicago: viva la revolucion...the wc revolucion 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

viva la revolucion...the wc revolucion

34
It happens to me at least once a day.
That warm uncomfortable squiggle beneath my stomach. The furrow in my brow. The inevitable question...which public restroom do I use?
Where am I less likely to be confronted?
Why do I have to think about this every time I pee?

This happened to me yet again about two months ago. I wasn't paying attention to where I was, and my proximity to a large group of my fellow "gender offenders" made me a little less self conscious.
I made my way to the can.
"Excuse me..." A rather sweet-looking young lady sneers at me.
"Yes?"
"You're not a woman." she states, with an impetuous stamp of her foot.
"I thought it was just a toilet," I reply, wishing in this moment that I had some glitter to pass on to this poor person who was taking themselves a bit too seriously.

I ducked into the Lou, and did my business, and when I emerged from the coffee shop's WC the person who had confronted me was gone.
I went back to my table and relayed the event to my friends.

Three of them seemed shocked that anyone would take issue with one's preferred restroom choice, it being such a basic human function.
They couldn't believe me when I told them this kind of confrontation happens to me at least once a day, no matter which room I choose.
I don't fit into either of those accepted representations of "male" or "female".
It is my belief that this two-partied gender system is broken.

And this is when I had a...EUREKA moment.
What if on Saturday September 19, all day, anyone who was interested staged a little dramatics in the john?
Use the opposite restroom to what you usually use all day.
If you feel uneasy alone, take a friend.
If you'd rather, only do it once.
If anyone confronts you...simply reply "It's just a toilet..."
Isn't it?
After your moment, if anything happens, if nothing happens...tweet about it, or write us a blog (send to genderqueerchicago@gmail.com).

September 19 is my 26th birthday. And I, Peter Noble, can think of no greater present than some Chicago-wide restroom genderfunkery.

Peter Danger Noble
co-founder Genderqueer Chicago
35 36 37 38