Genderqueer Chicago is as safe a space as we can make it, however it takes effort on EVERYONE'S part to help ensure that. We have several working agreements in place that we ask attendees to adhere to. Those who do not take into consideration these working agreements can, and may (depending on the severity of the infraction), be asked to leave the space temporarily or permanently. Our working agreements (for both the blog and our physical space) can be found here, but for your convenience they are posted below:
In keeping with our commitment to maintaining safe spaces for our community, Genderqueer Chicago will not publish any submission or comment deemed hate speech. This can include any statement that is blatantly transphobic, racist, ableist, sexist, classist, xenophobic, homophobic, ageist. etc. Likewise, any submission or comment that references non-consensual violent acts committed against people or animals will not be published.
Posting: The Genderqueer Chicago Organizing Team reserves the right not to publish anything deemed offensive, malicious, irrelevant to the community, or otherwise inappropriate. Business advertisements and messages (as in candidates and elections) will not be published. All blog submissions are read by our organizing team. If a submission is deemed unacceptable for publishing (including irrelevant to the community), organizers will notify the author by e-mail. Author may re-submit pieces with edits.
All blog submissions should be original in content and not under copyright law. Submissions should include a title and publishing name. Submissions to the GqC blog may be used by their author for other purposes. Submissions should not be used by readers without explicit permission from the author (GqC organizers can help facilitate this). Submissions that non-consensually out people or use their names will not be posted.
Submissions that are exceptionally long should be published in parts.
Comments: All comments are approved by GqC admins and are screened in accordance with aforementioned posting policy. Any comment deemed offensive, hateful, or inappropriate will be deleted.
Comments that do not blatantly violate the posting policy but could be deemed offensive to the author or others, will be forwarded to the author for approval. The author will have the final call as to whether or not a discriminatory remark is published.
Safe Space Meetings
Safe Space Meetings are run by peer facilitators. Our working agreements for safe spaces currently include:
- Consent for touching: ask before you touch someone else.
- One Diva, One Mic: respect folks by not interrupting.
- Don't assume: we respect each other by trying not to assume anything about anyone's identity, gender or otherwise.
- Las Vegas Rule: what is said in GqC meetings, cannot be repeated outside of the space.
- Oops/ Ouch: if someone says something you find hurtful, you can say "ouch." They then say "oops" and we all work it out, either during or after the meeting.
- Respect everyone's name/ pronoun preference inside and outside the space. Check in with folks about names/pronouns so you don't accidentally out them.
- Own It: To keep things in perspective, try and speak from your own experiences using "I" phrases.
Please note: researchers and reporters are strictly forbidden from attending meetings in their professional capacities. However, inquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.